SW side of Mount Robson
53.1167 N 119.15 W Google — GeoHack
Not currently an official name.
In 1963 the Alpine Club of Canada requested permission from the British Columbia Provincial Parks Branch to build a climbing hut on Mount Robson. The Club stated that shelters placed in well chosen locations will minimize the danger of exposure to mountaineers entering this area, and assist the rescue teams when they are needed in these areas. “Safety is the major reason why we wish to establish shelters and for which we expect cooperation from your department.”
BC Parks issued a Park Use Permit for erection of the shelter The costs of structure and erection were borne by the ACC, but the permit did not give the club sole use or control of use of the cabin. The original dome-shaped hut was built in 1966, replaced by a Pan Abode hut in 1969.
The hut was named for Ralph Forster, who made a generous contribution toward the construction of the new hut. Forster was a long-time member of the ACC, a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society and of the Alpine Club (London). A native Albertan, he became a chartered accountant after graduating from the University of Alberta. After joining the ACC in 1932, he served as Honorary Auditor until 1952. Although he was ill, he was flown to the hut when materials were being taken up on the first day of construction. He died in 1971 at the age of 74.
- Kariel, Herbert G. [1927–], and Kariel, Patricia E. Alpine huts in the Rockies, Selkirks and Purcells. Banff, Alberta: Alpine Club of Canada, 1986