Canadian Northern Railway, N of junction of Albreda River and North Thompson River
52.6375 N 119.1625 W — Map 83D/11 — Google — GeoHack
Name officially adopted in 1956
Official in BC – Canada
Mile 92 in Albreda Subdivision (Jasper to Blue River as of 1977)
Canadian Northern Railway station built in 1915
Canadian National Railway map 1925
During construction of the Canadian Northern Pacific Railway around 1915, Albreda had the first telegraph in the area. Albreda was the inspection point for the Blue River–Jasper subdivision of the rail line. The Albreda post office was open from 1923 to 1948, and again from 1956 to 1959. The small settlement was the site of a Japanese internment camp during World War II.
Note that this is not the location of the original Albreda station on the Grand Trunk Pacific line, as indicated on Arthur Wheeler’s 1912 topographical map of the Mount Robson region. That early station was located just east of Tête Jaune Cache as labelled on BC map 3H, 1914, and repositioned westward per map 3H, 1919.
Albreda may have had a CNoR 3rd Class depot at one time.
Named in association with Albreda Lake, a name dating to 1863.
- Bohi, Charles W. Canadian National’s Western Depots. The Country Stations in Western Canada. Railfare Enterprises, 1977
- British Columbia Geographical Names. Albreda