Tonquin Valley near headwaters of Astoria River
52.6633 N 118.2567 W Google — GeoHack
Not currently an official name.
This third version of the Wates-Gibson Hut was built in 1959 after two previous structures in different locations were found to be inadequate for various reasons.
There is a seasonal closure in place for caribou conservation. No access to this backcountry area is permitted between November 1 and May 15.
- Bulyea, H. E. “A trip to the Geikie valley.” Canadian Alpine Journal, Vol. 13 (1923):140
- Wates, Cyril G. [1883–1946], and Gibson, E. Rex [1892–1957]. “The Ramparts in 1927.” Canadian Alpine Journal, Vol. 16 (1927):85-95
- Kariel, Herbert G. [1927–], and Kariel, Patricia E. Alpine huts in the Rockies, Selkirks and Purcells. Banff, Alberta: Alpine Club of Canada, 1986
- Hayes, Scott. “End of an era as outfitters leave Tonquin Valley.” Jasper Fitzhugh, December 21 (2022). Jasper Fitzhugh
- Hayes, Scott. “Eco groups support ‘difficult decision’ to buy out Tonquin Valley leases.” Jasper Fitzhugh, January 11 (2023). Jasper Fitzhugh