The Canadian Northern Railway’s (CNoR) owned subsidiary running between the Alberta–British Columbia border and Vancouver was formally called the Canadian Northern Pacific Railway, which existed mainly on paper, and there were no cars or locomotives lettered “Canadian Northern Pacific”. As far as the public and most workers were concerned, it was just a part of the CNoR.
The Canadian Northern Pacific was incorporated in 1910. The last spike was driven at Basque, British Columbia, near Ashcroft, in January 1915. This event completed Canada’s third transcontinental railway, which ran from Quebec City, Quebec, to Vancouver, British Columbia.
The line from Edmonton to Vancouver was approved for operation in October 1915. The first westbound passenger train left Edmonton on November 23, 1915. The first eastbound passenger train left Vancouver on November 25, 1915. Initial main line through service was three trains per week in each direction.