Lempriere Creek

British Columbia. Creek: North Thompson River drainage
Flows N into North Thompson River, W of junction with Albreda River
52°29’00” N 119°12’00” W — Map 83D/6 — GoogleGeoHack
Official in BC

Arthur Reid Lempriere, a lieutenant in the Royal Engineers, arrived in Esquimalt in 1859 with the main body of the Columbia Detachment, the third and largest group of Royal Engineers to come to British Columbia. In 1859 he explored the route from Hope to Lytton via the Coquihalla. Lempriere returned to England in 1863, and retired as Major General in 1882.

The Canadian Northern Pacific Railway laid tracks through the Valemount area in 1915 and Lempriere first appears on a map of 1917. The Lempriere post office was open from 1942 to 1945. Less than ten cancellation marks are known in collections. There was a Japanese internment camp here during World War II.

References:

  • Woodward, Francis M. “Influence of the Royal Engineers in the development of British Columbia.” BC Studies, (1974)
  • Topping, William. A checklist of British Columbia post offices. Vancouver: published by the author, 7430 Angus Drive, 1983
  • Akrigg, George Philip Vernon (1913-2001), and Helen B. Akrigg. British Columbia Place Names. Vancouver: UBC Press, 1997. Internet Archive
Also see:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *