CNR, between Rider and Lamming Mills
53°25’00” N 120°23’00” W — Map 93H/8 — Google — GeoHack
Name officially adopted in 1983
Official in BC – Canada
The Legrand station was one of 18 stations between McBride and Prince George that the
The community was named after Joseph G. Legrand [1861-1923], a French-born engineer who designed and supervised the construction of all of the bridges on the GTPR. Legrand emigrated to Canada in 1891. Between 1893 and 1903 he worked successively as a draftsman, checker, and designer of bridge work and in 1903 was appointed assistant chief engineer of the predecessor firm that became the Montreal Locomotive Works. He joined the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway in 1906, at age 45, and assumed responsibilty for designing and overseeing the building of all the bridges on the new railway, thus becoming one of its senior managers.
Fourteen 14 miles west of McBride, Legrand became a farming community. In 1921 six farmers lived there. The Legrand post office was open from August 1924 to June 1925, under postmaster Mrs. Janetta Somerville.
- CN (Canadian National Railway). Transportation planning branch, Edmonton, and historical office, Montréal. 2000
- Davies, David L. “Not ‘A Bridge Too Far’ But One Far Enough or How the G.T.P. Crossed the Fraser at Prince George, British Columbia.” Canadian Rail, No. 476 May-June (2000):67–82. Exporail
- Olson, Raymond W. Gost Towns on the East Line. Prince George, B.C.: Raymond W. Olson, 2017