Province: British Columbia
Location: Vicinity of Mount Robson
NTS map: 83D/15
Official name listed at BC Geographical Names
This is the second oldest provincial park in British Columbia, established in 1913.
In 1911, the Alpine Club of Canada sponsored an expedition to the Mount Robson region. Expedition leader Arthur Wheeler became ecstatic about “the vast possibilities of this new alpine paradise” — a combination of “snow-covered mountains, ice-encircled ampitheatres, tumbling glaciers, turquoise lakes and flashing waterfalls.” Wheeler urged the government of British Columbia to establish a provincial park at Mount Robson.
The post office at Mount Robson station was open from 1923 to 1955.
- Canadian Permanent Committee on Geographical Names. British Columbia representative: D.F. Pearson, director of surveys and mapping, B.C. Ministry of Environment, Victoria..
- Fraser, Esther Augusta 1919-1978. Wheeler. Banff: Summerthought, 1978