Tag Archives: Park

Arctic Pacific Lakes Park

British Columbia. Provincial Park: Fraser
Mackenzie River drainage
Surrounding Bad River (James Creek), between Parsnip and McGregor Rivers
54°23’04” N 121°33’20” W — Map 93I/5 — GoogleGeoHack
Name officially adopted in 2000. Official in BCCanada

Established 29 June 2000 per Bill 17-2000, Protected Areas of British Columbia Act; the whole containing 13,887 ha. more or less.

This is a unique watershed that straddles the Continental Divide. Arctic Lake drains northwest into the Parsnip River thence the Peace River and eventually into the Mackenzie River and the Arctic Ocean. Portage and Pacific Lakes sit at the headwaters of Bad River (James Creek), which drains into Herrick Creek, thence McGregor River, which empties into the Fraser River on the way to the Pacific Ocean. The park also encloses Little Lake on Bad River.

There does not appear to be a name for this pass between the Arctic and Pacific watersheds.

References:

  • British Columbia Geographical Names. Government of BC. Arctic Pacific Lakes Park. BCGN

Mount Terry Fox Park

British Columbia. Provincial Park
Adjacent to NW side of Mount Robson Provincial Park
52°57’00” N 119°15’00” W — Map 83D/14 — GoogleGeoHack
Name officially adopted in 1982. Official in BCCanada

Mount Terry Fox Park established by Order in Council 1211, 23 June 1982, containing 1930 hectares more or less

Also see:

Mount Robson Park

British Columbia. Provincial Park
Vicinity of Mount Robson
52°48’00” N 118°40’00” W — Map 83D/15 — GoogleGeoHack
Name officially adopted in 1913. Official in BC

This is the second oldest provincial park in British Columbia, established in 1913.

In 1911, the Alpine Club of Canada sponsored an expedition to the Mount Robson region. Expedition leader Arthur Wheeler became ecstatic about “the vast possibilities of this new alpine paradise” — a combination of “snow-covered mountains, ice-encircled ampitheatres, tumbling glaciers, turquoise lakes and flashing waterfalls.” Wheeler urged the government of British Columbia to establish a provincial park at Mount Robson.

The post office at Mount Robson station was open from 1923 to 1955.

References:

Also see: