N of headwaters of Lebher Creek
52.6833 N 119.5333 W — Map 83D/12 — Google — GeoHack
Earliest known reference to this name is 1949 (Hendricks)
Name officially adopted in 1963
Official in BC – Canada
Fabergé 1949 map Cariboo
Named in 1963 in honor of A. L. (Pete) Withers, a Jasper resident who was a pioneer climber in the area. The name was proposed by the 1949 mountaineering party of Sterling Brown Hendricks [1902–1981] and Andrew John Kauffman [1920–2002].
In 1924 Withers, Allen Carpé [1894–1932], and Rollin Thomas Chamberlin [1881–1948] went up Tête Creek “and made some fine climbs, among them Sir Wilfrid Laurier.”
In 1932, Withers accompanied Clifford White [1902–1964] of Banff, Russell H. Bennett of Minneapolis, and J. A. Weiss of Jasper, on a 480 kilometer ski trek from Jasper to Lake Louise in a 20 day period.
Withers is identified as a clerk in a photograph of Jasper National Park employees in 1931.
- Carpé, Allen [1894–1932]. “Albreda Mountain.” Canadian Alpine Journal, Vol. 16 (1927–1927):177, p. 243. Alpine Club of Canada
- Bennett, Russell H. “The Ski Ascent of Snow Dome.” Canadian Alpine Journal, Vol 20 (1931):100-101. Alpine Club of Canada
- White, Clifford. Fonds M159 / V682 (1935–1992). Whyte Museum of the Canadian Rockies
- Zillmer, Raymond T. [1887–1960]. “The exploration of the Cariboo Range from the east.” American Alpine Journal, 5:2 (1944):261-274. American Alpine Club
- Hendricks, Sterling Brown [1902–1981], and Kauffman, Andrew John [1920–2002]. “Cariboo Climbing.” American Alpine Journal, 7:2 (1950). American Alpine Club
- Wexler, Arnold. “Ascents in the Cariboo Mountains.” Canadian Alpine Journal, Vol. 27 (1950):41-50. Alpine Club of Canada
- Anon. “Place names in the Premier Range, Cariboo Mountains, B.C.” Canadian Alpine Journal, Vol. 46 (1963):20. Alpine Club of Canada
- Scott, Chic. “Jasper to Banff on skis.” Mountain Heritage Magazine, Vol. 2, No. 1 (1999). Whyte Museum