Flows SW into Fraser River, NW of Kidd
53°44’00” N 120°54’00” W — Map 93H/10 — Google — GeoHack
Earliest known reference to this name is 1910 (Coryell).
Name officially adopted in 1958
Official in BC – Canada
After Thomas Torpy, an American who worked as a tunnel construction foreman during the building of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway (now part of the CNR).
In the report of his survey of the upper Fraser River in 1910, John A. Coryell mentioned the Torpy Range, “where grizzly bear are plentiful and black bear through the bench lands, where they can feast on the raspberries, huckleberries, blueberries, low-bush and high-bush cranberries found throughout this valley. Beaver are too plentiful for the comfort of the actual settler when he invades this district, and marten have been trapped for years. Three trappers and several Indians were in the district when the survey was completed.”
Formerly called the Clearwater River.
- Walker, James Alexander [1887–1959]. “South fork of Fraser River, Dore River to Clearwater River. December 15, 1913.” Report of the Minister of Lands, (1914). Google Books
- Coryell, John A. Abstracts from reports on Cariboo District made by B.C. Land surveyors, 1891-1927. Victoria: British Columbia Lands Department, 1927
- Akrigg, Helen B., and Akrigg, George Philip Vernon [1913–2001]. British Columbia Place Names. Vancouver: UBC Press, 1997. Internet Archive