Flows S into Fraser River, E of Croydon
53°03’00” N 119°38’00” W — Map 83E/4 — Google — GeoHack
Earliest known reference to this name is 1871 (Trutch).
Name officially adopted in 1951. Official in BC — Canada
“Small River” appears on B.C. Surveyor General Joseph William Trutch’s 1871 “Map of British Columbia to the 56th Parallel North Latitude.”
In 1909, Stanley Washburn said “Small River” was one of the names “given by the trappers.”
Holway approached the creek from its headwaters in 1915:
At the head of Horse Creek 1S a great glacier with several peaks about 10,500 feet, and between Horse Creek and Small River, on a branch of which we now were, is a very fine glacier-covered mountain around 10,500 feet.…
We followed Small River to a cabin on the Fraser, where we found flour and potatoes, crossed in the morning to an old construction camp, where there were just spikes enough to build a small raft, upon which we piled our things and floated down to Croydon, where we had left our trunks.
- Trutch, Joseph William [1826–1904]. Map of British Columbia to the 56th Parallel North Latitude. Victoria, B.C.: Lands and Works Office, 1871. University of Victoria
- Washburn, Stanley [1878-1950]. Trails, trappers and tenderfeet in the new empire of Western Canada. London: A. Melrose, 1912. University of Alberta
- Holway, Edward Willet Dorland [1853–1923]. “First ascent of Mt. Edith Cavell and explorations in the Mt. Longstaff Region.” Canadian Alpine Journal, Vol. 7 (1916):51-53. Alpine Club of Canada