Flows SW into Fraser River, NW of Dunster
53.1667 N 119.9167 W — Map 83E/4 — Google — GeoHack
Earliest known reference to this name is 1913 (Morkill)
Name officially adopted in 1963
Official in BC – Canada
Pre-emptor’s map Tête Jaune 3H 1919 [Holliday (Baker) Cr.]
Brothers Alfred, Walter [ca. 1884-1986], and Howard Holliday came into the valley around 1909 with the surveyors of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway. Caught by winter near the creek that bears their name, their boats froze into the Fraser River.
Surveyor Dalby Brooks Morkill [1880–1955] reported in 1912 that at “Holliday Creek (formerly known as Baker Creek) W. Sweeny and W. Holliday had equal success with garden-truck which they put in as an experiment, and a patch of barley. The two later built a water-wheel on the river and during the month of June irrigated their garden.” A map accompanying this report notes for the southwest fractional quarter of District Lot 7196, on the Fraser River just upstream of what was denoted Baker Creek, “Cleared and cultivated, W. Halliday.”
Their field is said to have been the first one plowed in the district.
In 1962 Walter Holliday paid a brief visit to McBride and Dunster to locate the land where he and his brothers lived before the railroad arrived. Walter has seven surviving grandchildren and many great-grandchildren living on the lower mainland. His brother Howard has many surviving relatives in BC. [See comment from Ian Holliday]
- Wheeler, Arthur Oliver [1860–1945]. “A. L. Mumm — An Appreciation.” Canadian Alpine Journal, Vol. 16 (1927–1927):173-175
- Robson Valley Courier. Weekly newspaper published by Pyramid Press of Jasper from 1968–88 (1968–1988).
- Morkill, Dalby Brooks [1880–1955]. “Report on Survey on the South Fork of Fraser River from Horse Creek to Beaver River. December 28, 1912.” Report of the Minister of Lands for the Province of British Columbia for the year ending 31st December 1912, (1913):238-240. Google Books