Canadian National Railway, NW of Dunster
53.1833 N 119.9833 W — Map 83E/4 — Google — GeoHack
Earliest known reference to this name is 1914 (GTP Timetable)
Name officially adopted in 1983
Official in BC – Canada
Mile 51 in Tete Jaune Subdivision (Red Pass to McBride as of 1977)
Grand Trunk Pacific Railway station built in 1913. Sold in 1963.
Grand Trunk Pacific Railway map [ca. 1912]
Grand Trunk Pacific Railway timetable 1914
Grand Trunk Pacific Railway map ca. 1918
Grand Trunk Pacific Railway map 1919
Pre-emptor’s map Tête Jaune 3H 1919
Canadian National Railway map 1925
Grand Trunk Pacific Railway stations
Many GTP depots along the sparsely settled line through northern BC were built primarily to house section crews with the understanding that once traffic warranted, these buildings would be converted into operational stations. The men posing on the classic handcar were likely the local section gang that resided in the depot. The lack of a train bulletin, an order board or a trackside platform is a good indication that this building was used as a section house rather than a depot. In such cases, the freight shed of Type E stations was often used as a bunkroom by the section laborers, while the balance of the building was occupied by the section foreman and his family (note the two children in the background, left). In the early 1950s many underused combination stations were converted into freight and passenger shelters: all but the freight shed being demolished or removed, while the remaining portion was re-configured. At least twenty-five Type E stations, mostly along the BC North Line, were transformed into such FPS. The Raush Valley depot, built in 1913, had an exterior treatment of roughcast stucco and wooden walers added in 1927. The walls and ceiling were insulated in 1941. This depot was sold and removed in 1963.
- Bohi, Charles W. Canadian National’s Western Depots. The Country Stations in Western Canada. Railfare Enterprises, 1977, p. 23