Croydon

Feature type: Locality
Province: British Columbia
Location: On CNR between Dunster and Shere
Latitude: 53°04’00”
Longitude: 119°43’00”
NTS map: 83E/4
Official name listed at BC Geographical Names

Croydon is named after a village in England. The name appears on the 1915 land pre-emptor’s map of the McBride area. Etter and McDougal Lumber operated an 80-man sawmill at Croydon until 1919, when a brush fire spread to the yard. Sandy McDougal allowed the Croydon school board to use an old bunk house for the school. The Croydon post office was open from 1917 to 1968. Contributions from Croydon, England, made possible the construction of an Anglican Church and burial grounds in 1935.

References:

  • Haralson, Doris Neely. Northland Echoes. Yarrow, B.C.: Published by the author, Box 31, 1981
  • Topping, William. A checklist of British Columbia post offices. Vancouver: published by the author, 7430 Angus Drive, 1983
  • Wheeler, Marilyn. The Robson Valley Story. McBride, B.C.: Robson Valley Story Group, 1979

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *