CNR, N of junction of Albreda and North Thompson Rivers
52°38’15” N 119°09’45” W — Map 83D/11 — Google — GeoHack
Name officially adopted in 1956
Official in BC – Canada
Mile 92 in Albreda Subdivision (Jasper to Blue River)
During construction of the Canadian Northern Pacific Railway around 1915, Albreda had the first telegraph in the area. Albreda was the inspection point for the Blue River–Jasper subdivision of the rail line. The Albreda post office was open from 1923 to 1948, and again from 1956 to 1959. The small settlement was the site of a Japanese internment camp during World War II.
Note that this is not the location of the original Albreda station on the Grand Trunk Pacific line, as indicated on Arthur Wheeler’s 1912 topographical map of the Mount Robson region. That early station was located just east of Tête Jaune Cache as labelled on BC map 3H, 1914, and repositioned westward per map 3H, 1919.
Named in association with Albreda Lake, a name dating to 1863.
- British Columbia Geographical Names. Albreda