On Canadian National Railway, NE of junction ofSlim Creek and Fraser River
53.8167 N 121.2 W — Map 93H/14 — Google — GeoHack
Earliest known reference to this name is 1911 (GTP map)
Name officially adopted in 1958
Not currently an official name
Mile 66 in Fraser Subdivision (McBride to Prince George as of 1977)
Grand Trunk Pacific Railway map [ca. 1912]
Grand Trunk Pacific Railway timetable 1914
Pre-emptor’s map Fort George 1G 1916
Grand Trunk Pacific Railway map ca. 1918
Grand Trunk Pacific Railway map 1919
Canadian National Railway map 1925
Established as a flag station on the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway four
miles east of Penny.
No agent or local residents in 1918, according to Wrigley’s.
Although the Grand Trunk Pacific had built a station at Guilford, the community of Guilford evolved two miles west of the station. That location was where the river and the railroad tracks met, both being vital transportation links. The name was quite possibly chosen from the Josiah Wedgwood list of names. Guilford is the name of a village in the county of Surrey, England, which is now spelt Guildford.— Olson, p. 92
Mr. and Mrs. Frank Wagner left for Edmonton, the community of Guilford lost its last resident and another ghost town was created. Everything has been shipped out of the once thriving sawmill village.— Prince George Citizen, November 1956 (quoted in Olson)
According to the BC Geographical Names office, the name Guilford was suggested by Mr. Smithers (OBF 0047). Adopted in 1958. confirmed in 1983, and rescinded in 1984.
- Wrigley Directories, Limited. Wrigley’s British Columbia Directory. Vancouver: 1918. Internet Archive
- CN (Canadian National Railway). Transportation planning branch, Edmonton, and historical office, Montréal. 2000
- Olson, Raymond W. Ghost Towns on the East Line. Prince George, B.C.: Raymond W. Olson, 2017
- British Columbia Geographical Names. Guilford