Former name for Raush River
53.2 N 120 W Google — GeoHack
Not currently an official name.
Collie’s map Yellowhead Pass 1912
The river appears as “Big Shuswap R.” on the 1912 map of John Norman Collie [1859–1942].
The Raush River was originally known as the Shuswap River, after the English name for the Secwépemc living in the area at first white intrusion. The Secwépemc are a First Nations people residing in the interior of British Columbia. The Robson valley marked their northern limits.
The Texqakallt band of the upper North Thompson River were the earliest known inhabitants of the upper reaches of the Fraser River. They were almost completely nomadic. Lodges and fish drying racks were constructed in prime salmon fishing territory at the confluence of the McLennan River and Fraser Rivers in the vicinity of what is now Tête Jaune Cache. As well as salmon from the Fraser, trout were reportedly taken from Yellowhead Lake. They hunted bighorn sheep, mountain goats, moose, marmots, and other small mammals and birds. They also relied on edible plants in the area, especially berries.
- Teit, James [1864–1922]. The Shuswap. The Jesup North Pacific Expedition. Vol. II, Pt. VII.. New York: Memoir of the American Museum of Natural History, 1909. American Museum of Natural History
- Munday, Walter Alfred Don [1890–1950]. “In the Cariboo Range – Mt. David Thompson.” Canadian Alpine Journal, Vol. 15 (1925):130-136
- Wikipedia. Secwepemc (Shuswap)