Province: British Columbia
Location: CNR, W end of Moose Lake
NTS map: 83D/14
Official name listed at BC Geographical Names
The Red Pass railway junction at the west end of Moose Lake was originally called Resplendent, like Red Pass a name deriving from the color of the rocks. East of Red Pass, the tracks of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway, descending to the Fraser River on route to Prince George in 1912, were kept as low as possible. The tracks of the Canadian Northern Pacific Railway, heading for the Albreda Pass, were kept high. After the consolidation of the railways in 1923 as the Canadian National Railway, Lucerne disappeared as a railway divisional point and Resplendent blossomed as Red Pass Junction, the point where the removal of the separate tracks stopped and where the two lines diverged.
During the 1930s, there was a hobo jungle at Red Pass where the vagabonds waited for trains. About 50 people lived at Red Pass in the 1940s.
During World War II it was the site of a Japanese internment camp. The Red Pass hotel burned down in 1949. The post office was open from 1921 to 1976. The headquarters of Mount Robson Park were moved from Red Pass to Valemount in 1987.
- MacGregor, James Grierson, 1905-1989. Overland by the Yellowhead. Saskatoon: Western Producer, 1974
- Topping, William. A checklist of British Columbia post offices. Vancouver: published by the author, 7430 Angus Drive, 1983