Tag Archives: Military

Herrick Creek

British Columbia. Creek: Fraser River drainage
Flows SW into McGregor River
54°16’00” N 121°29’00” W — Map 93I/6 — GoogleGeoHack
Name officially adopted in 1915
Official in BCCanada

Named in memory of Captain James Herrick McGregor, Provincial Land Surveyor, who fell at Ypres 25 April 1915.

Mount Monroe

British Columbia. Mount
N of McBride, S of McKale River
53°23’50” N 120°10’44” W — Map 93H/8 — GoogleGeoHack
Name officially adopted in 1965
Official in BCCanada

Named in remembrance of Canadian Army Lance Corporal Stanley James Monroe, K41218, from McBride. Serving with the Canadian Forestry Corps when he was killed 1 July 1942, age 24. Location and circumstances of his death not cited; buried at McBride Cemetery, Plot 6, Grave 4.

Parents: Adrian A. Monroe and Lela A. Monroe, McBride.


  • McBride cemetary. Grave markers. 2000
  • British Columbia Geographical Names. Mount Monroe
Also see:

Lunn, Mount

British Columbia. Mount
Near headwaters of Castle Creek
52°59’37” N 120°27’8″ W — Map 093A16 — GoogleGeoHack
Name officially adopted in 1966
Official in BCCanada

The name was adopted in 1966 to remember Royal Canadian Air Force Flight Lieutenant Gerald Alfred Lunn, J10875, from Quesnel. Lunn served as air gunner with 429 Squadron when he was killed in action 17 April 1943, age 23. Buried in Septmonts Churchyard, Aisne, France.


Mount Kimmel

British Columbia. Mount
Headwaters of Kimmel Creek
52°38’00” N 119°25’00” W — Map 83D/11 — GoogleGeoHack
Name officially adopted in 1961
Official in BCCanada
Richard, Gordon, and Clifford Kimmel

Richard, Gordon, and Clifford Kimmel

The Kimmel brothers Richard (1914–44), Gordon (1916–44), and Clifford (1919-44) were killed serving in the Canadian Army during World War II. They were from Albreda.

Their father Harry Kimmel (1886–1972) left Illinois to settle in Canada in 1917. His wife Sylvia (ca. 1886–1961) and four Illinois-born children joined him in Edmonton the next year. Hearing of work at Swift Creek, Harry went there in 1918 and worked at Kennedy’s sawmill. He moved the family into a tiny house the next year, where Clifford, the sixth of twelve children, was born. In 1922 the family moved to a homestead at Albreda, where Harry worked on the coal deck that fueled the steam locomotives. Sylvia Kimmel was described as “the spirit of the pioneer, the kingpin of her family and jack of all trades and indeed master of most of them.” In 1961, the year she died, Sylvia represented Canadian mothers at the Remembrance Day services at Ottawa.

Richard, Gordon, and Clifford had a brother Harry Leonard Kimmel of Grand Forks, British Columbia.

Canadian Army L Sergeant Richard Kenneth Kimmel, K92118, killed in action 18 June 1944 during the Normandy landings. Buried at Beny-sur-Mer Canadian War Cemetery, Calvados, France.

Canadian Army Rifleman Gordon Leroy Kimmel, K53748, killed in action 8 June 1944 during the Normany landiongs. Buried at Bretteville-Sur-Laize Canadian War Cemetery, Calvados, France.

Canadian Army Corporal Clifford Howard Kimmel, K92117, killed in action 5 December 1944 during the Battle of Moro. Buried at Ravenna War Cemetery, Italy.


  • Robson Valley Courier. Weekly newspaper published by Pyramid Press of Jasper from 1968–88 (1968–1988).
  • Canoe Mountain Echo. Weekly newspaper published at Valemount by Pyramid Press of Jasper. Last issue, June 1988.. 1988
  • Valemount Historic Society. Yellowhead Pass and its People. Valemount, B.C.: 1984

Mount Halvorson

British Columbia. Mount
SW of Legrand, E of Milk River
53°15’00” N 120°35’00” W — Map 93H/7 — GoogleGeoHack
Official in BC

Named to remember Trooper Frank Halvorson, H45935, from McBride; serving with the 27th Armoured Regiment, Sherbrook Fusiliers, RCAC, when he was killed in action 29 October 1944. Halvorson is buried at Bergen-op-Zoom Canadian War Cemetery, Netherlands, grave 8, D, 7.


Mount Goslin

British Columbia. Mount
NW of Mount Chamberlin
53°03’00” N 119°26’00” W — Map 83E/3 — GoogleGeoHack
Name officially adopted in 1965
Official in BCCanada

Named to remember Canadian Army Private Earl William Goslin, M104002, from Tête Jaune Cache; serving with the Westminster Regiment, RCIC, when he was killed in action 16 December 1944; buried in the Villanova Canadian War Cemetery, Italy, grave V- A- 10.

Goslin was originally from the Cooking Lake area of Alberta. As of January 2001 he was survived by three sisters and a growing number of nieces and nephews and their progeny. He also may have had a daughter.


  • Personal correspondence. Ron Thornton. Ron Thornton (grand-nephew), Edmonton, 2001
  • The Canadian Virtual War Memorial. CVWM, Private Earl William Goslin. CVWM
Also see:

McNaughton Lake

British Columbia. Lake: Columbia River drainage
Previously official name of Kinbasket Lake
52°8’0″ N 118°27’0″ W — Map 083D01 — GoogleGeoHack
Earliest known reference to this name is 1973.
Name officially adopted in 1973
Official in BCCanada
General Andrew George Latta McNaughton (1887–1966)

General Andrew George Latta McNaughton (1887–1966)

The former name for the man-made reservoir now called Kinbasket Lake recalls Andrew George Latta McNaughton (1887-1966), soldier and diplomat. McNaughton was born in Saskatchewan and joined the faculty of McGill University upon graduation. He had been a member of the Canadian Militia since 1909, and after the outbreak of war in 1914 he served overseas, was wounded twice, and became a brigadier-general in command of the Canadian Corps Heavy Artillery by the end of the war. He remained in military service until 1935, when he became president of the National Research Council. He returned to the army with the outbreak of World War II, and in 1942 became Commander of the First Canadian Army. After his retirement in 1944, he became Minister of Defense, and subsequently held many diplomatic posts. McNaughton was leader of those who advocated development of the Columbia River for hydro-power.

When the name McNaughton Lake was proclaimed by the British Columbia cabinet in 1973, a number of the residents of the East Kootenay area lobbied to change the name to Kinbasket Lake. After seven years of strenuous argument, the name was officially changed. The former name was widely dispersed and appears on maps and other documents.


  • Wallace, W. Stewart. MacMillan Dictionary of Canadian biography. Toronto: MacMillan, 1978
  • British Columbia Geographical Names. McNaughton Lake
Also see:

McGregor River

British Columbia. River: Fraser River drainage
Flows W into Fraser River, N of Upper Fraser
54°10’46” N 122°02’01” W — Map 93J/1 — GoogleGeoHack
Name officially adopted in 1915
Official in BCCanada
Captain James Herrick McGregor

Captain James Herrick McGregor

Includes to its source the South Branch of the North Fork of the Fraser River. Formerly also known as Big Salmon River.

Surveyor James Herrick McGregor (1869-1915) was born in Montreal and received his early education in the east. He came to western Canada in 1891 and obtained his commission as a Provincial Land Surveyor. He practiced his profession for a few years in the Kootenays and subsequently settled in Victoria. McGregor was involved in the 1891-98 triangulation and photo-topographic surveys of the southern Rocky Mountains in the vicinity of the Alberta-British Columbia boundary. He enlisted in World War I and was killed in the Battle of Ypres.

His obituary in the Victoria Colonist stated: “For the past 25 years Captain McGregor has been one of the best known Victorians. Throughout the Province, too, he was well known, as in past years he visited many sections of British Columbia in his business of a Provincial land surveyor. With his fellow officers of the 50th Gordon Highlanders, and also with the men under his command, he was esteemed for his many sterling qualities. The late Captain McGregor leaves a widow and four children.”

A quartet of streams: Captain Creek, James Creek, Herrick Creek, and McGregor River, all named in memory of Captain James Herrick McGregor, PLS.


  • Corporation of Land Surveyors of the Province of British Columbia. Annual Reports. , 1956
  • Andrews, Gerald Smedley [1903–]. Professional Land Surveyors of British Columbia. Cumulative nominal roll. Victoria: Corporation of Land Surveyors of British Columbia, 1978
  • The Canadian Virtual War Memorial. CVWM, Captain James Herrick McGregor. CVWM
  • British Columbia Geographical Names. McGregor River


British Columbia. Locality
On CNR, NW of Crescent Spur
53.6 N 120.7 W — Map 093H10 — GoogleGeoHack
Earliest known reference to this name is 1911 (GTP map)
Name officially adopted in 1983
Official in BCCanada
124 miles west of the Yellowhead Pass on the Canadian National Railway
Mile 34 in Fraser Subdivision (McBride to Prince George as of 1977)
Grand Trunk Pacific Railway station built in 1904
This locality appears on:
Grand Trunk Pacific Railway map ca. 1918

In 1916, the name of the Crescent Island Grand Trunk Pacific Railway station was changed to Loos, in honour of Loos, a town in France near the Belgium border, occupied by Germany in the First World War. In September of 1915, there was a particularly bloody battle at Loos, when ten thousand Allied and German soldiers were killed in less than four hours. The Loos post office was open from 1916 to 1951.

In August 1913, Foley, Welch and Stuart, railway contractors, moved their distribution depot from Tete Jaune to Mile 129, in the vicinity of present day Loos. As the rail steel moved west, the work for the paddle wheelers diminished and eventually ceased once the rail bridges at Dome Creek and Hansard were built. These bridges were constructed without swing or draw spans thus restricting navigation.

The Leboe Lumber Company sawmill was the reason that Loos grew from a mere station beside the tracks into a community. The Leboe Lumber Company went into bankruptcy in 1921. Subsequent mills upstream from this location were run by Ole’s sons Bert and Wilfred, and eventually the sawmill was relocated two miles east and a new community was founded in 1940 called Crescent Spur. Most of the population of Loos then relocated to Crescent Spur, however the school remained at Loos as well as the homes of a number of the Leboe family.

— Olson 2011

Post office and station on the G.T.P. Ry. 37 miles west of McBride. Population 85. Local resources: Lumbering and a few settlers and mixed farms.
Bracket Chas trapper and sawyer
Bryanton Chas farming
Cooper Albert scaler
Dolly T section foreman at Urling
Gareckey laborer
Gibbs Joe section foreman
Gunderson Gus farming
Holte Ole farming
Johnson L B mgr Loos Lumber Co
Longury Joseph farming
Lonsdale lineman
LOOS LUMBER CO., Lars B. Johnson, Manager Sawmill
McGlothin laborer
Martensen Mat farming
Martin A S section foreman
MARTIN, MRS. A. S. Postmistress, General Store and Hotel.
Nosek Geo working a copper mine
O’Connell Pat farming
O’Connell David secion foreman
Olson Ole sawmill foreman
Peart Wm farming
Ranshaw farming
Ryan Wm farming
Sampson laborer
Shaik Van farming
Simonson Sam sawmill mgr
Sjolie Oscar engineer
Songery Joe farming
Twasuk Paul section foreman
Welsh Edward farming
Westaway & Waldron shingle mill
Westgard laborer
Westgrade Thos financier Loos Lumber Co

Wrigley’s British Columbia Directory, 1918

  • Wrigley Directories, Limited. Wrigley’s British Columbia Directory. Vancouver: 1918. Internet Archive
  • Munro, Iain R. Canada and the World Wars. Toronto: Wiley, 1979
  • Topping, William. A checklist of British Columbia post offices. Vancouver: published by the author, 7430 Angus Drive, 1983
  • Olson, Raymond W. From Liaboe to Loos and Beyond. Prince George, B.C.: Raymond W. Olson, 2011
  • British Columbia Geographical Names. Loos
Also see:


British Columbia. Railway Point
CNR, S of junction of Albreda and North Thompson Rivers
52°27’00” N 119°08’00” W — Map 83D/6 — GoogleGeoHack
Earliest known reference to this name is 1917
Name officially adopted in 1962
Official in BCCanada
88 miles west of the Yellowhead Pass on the Canadian National Railway
Mile 106 in Albreda Subdivision (Jasper to Blue River)
Lempriere Station, from the late 1970s/early 1980s. Photo by Brian Lempriere

Lempriere Station, from the late 1970s/early 1980s. Photo by Brian Lempriere
Real Royal Engineers

Arthur Reid Lempriere [1835–1927], a lieutenant in the Royal Engineers, arrived in Esquimalt in 1859 with the main body of the Columbia Detachment, the third and largest group of Royal Engineers to come to British Columbia. In 1859 he explored the route from Hope to Lytton via the Coquihalla. Lempriere returned to England in 1863, and retired as Major General in 1882.

The Canadian Northern Pacific Railway laid tracks through the Valemount area in 1915 and Lempriere first appears on a map of 1917. The Lempriere post office was open from 1942 to 1945. Less than ten cancellation marks are known in collections. There was a Japanese internment camp here during World War II.


  • Woodward, Francis M. “Influence of the Royal Engineers in the development of British Columbia.” BC Studies, (1974)
  • Topping, William. A checklist of British Columbia post offices. Vancouver: published by the author, 7430 Angus Drive, 1983
  • Akrigg, Helen B., and Akrigg, George Philip Vernon [1913–2001]. British Columbia Place Names. Vancouver: UBC Press, 1997. Internet Archive
  • Wikipedia. Arthur Reid Lempriere
Also see: